Lemon-filled Strawberry Muffins & I love my mom
I love the month of May (and not just because it ends with my birthday). It’s the month that I start truly believing that summer does exist and winter did not in fact kill it.
It’s the month that flowers and foliage decorate the great outdoors.
It’s the month that strawberries tiptoe into market and surprise us all over again with their sweet, juicy goodness.
And of course, it’s the month where we devote a day to honoring mothers – those remarkable women who had the strength to bring us into the world, the patience to raise us and the love to carry us forward.
I am very blessed to have amazing women in my life to guide and support me. Thank you to Mom, Meme, Michel, Nana and Grandma Hunt for being the loving and inspiring women that you are.
In celebration of Mother’s Day, I’ve whipped up a tasty little muffin recipe to make use of those fresh strawberries, with a for-your-own-good oomph of tangy lemon.
Mom: while I won’t be able to share these muffins with you this Sunday, I will be thinking of just how very much I love you and how much God has blessed so many through your words and actions. Love you bunches.
* makes one dozen muffins
- 1 cup strawberries, sliced
- 3/4 cup lemon curd
- 7.5 ounces of coconut milk (slightly < 1 cup)
- 1 avocado, pitted
- 1/2 cup water
- 2.25 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup + 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line muffin tin with paper liners or oil with cooking spray.
2. Prep liquid ingredients:
- Prepare lemon curd, using this recipe, and set aside.
- Puree avocado, coconut milk and water. Stir in vanilla extract.
3. Prep dry ingredients: sift together flour, baking powder and sugar.
4. Slice/chop strawberries. I chopped 3/4 and sliced the remaining 1/4 to place on top of the muffins.
5. Combine avocado mixture with dry ingredients. Stir in lemon zest and strawberries.
6. Layer mixture into muffin cups, using your handy dandy ice cream scoop (or heaping tablespoon).
1 scoop mixture → 1 tablespoon lemon curd → 1 scoop mixture → sliced strawberries
7. Place in oven and bake for ~20 minutes.
Results & Conclusions
Well, first off – they’re pretty darn cheerful, aren’t they?
And did I mention they’re vegan?
Refreshing, sweet (but not overly so) and with a nice little burst of lemon in the middle, this muffin is a solid ten.
But what happens, say, if we break it open and slather on a little more magical goodness known as lemon curd?
Well, my friends, this one goes to eleven. (spinal tap, anyone?)
So, be a good girl or boy and make these scrumptious muffins for your mama (and your grandmama).
Happy Mother’s Day!