Hello and welcome!
My name is Heather, and I live in Oregon with my amazing husband, Andrew, and our spoiled
As a child, I was the kind of gal who always had her nose in a book and her head in the clouds.Â All these years later, Iâ€™m still a bookworm and to be perfectly honest, I still like to stick my head up in the clouds because that’s where the best ideas are.
Here’s a little glimpse into who I amÂ – a virtual handshake and howdy-do, if you will:
- I am an ardent animal-lover, especially dogs. Having worked as the adoption outreach coordinator for a county shelter, I’ve seen the nitty gritty of the animal sheltering community – both the good and bad but mostly the good. I have 5 dogs – yes, that’s right FIVE. And they’re all hounds – dogs that are literally thrown away in the south. They are the absolute best …. except when they are stealing pies or bread off the kitchen counter, knocking over the trash can or peeing on the corner of the bed. (Yes, all these things have actually happened. And I still love them … in fact a little more with each passing day.)
- I love food. Pinterest is a clear and present danger for me; I’ll be perfectly happy eating a reasonably healthy diet and then as I innocently scroll through Pinterest, BAM – some chocolate hazelnut-stuffed pastry drizzled in salted caramel will leave me weak in the knees. Or maybe it’s roasted beets glazed with maple syrup and tossed with goat cheese and fresh greens. Or perhaps grilled pizza with caramelized onions, simmered apples and gooey cheddar. You get my drift: I love food. Oh, but I don’t eat meat (see #1).
- I love God. I’m not a Bible-thumper because, well, it seems incredibly disrespectful to thump something holy. I was broken and God made me whole. I have a joy that defies logic and explanation … and it’s because of Jesus.
- I grew up in the Southeast, married my high school sweetheart, went to graduate school in the Northeast, returned the South for a brief time and now find myself in the Northwest.Â I’m embracing every chance I get to explore the natural wonderland of Oregon. Somehow, this bookworm also became a rather hard-core hiker.
- I spend most of my free time with a camera in hand but am 110% camera-shy. In a previous life, i.e. several years ago, I was a photographer. That was fun for awhile. Now, I’m a would-be writer.
With this blog, I hope to bring into simple focus slices of my life as I explore Oregon with my pack of hounds, from real.good.food to phenomenal hikes to simple truths about the day-to-day. Enjoy!