Just dive right in
After reading so many wonderful blogs about food and photography and life in general, I thought I’d jump right in with one of my own. To learn a little more, you can read here.
To start off with, I thought I’d share one of my all-time favorite breakfast recipes: french toast. Yes, I’m aware that it’s no longer morning – but hey, french toast is good any time 🙂
There are a lot of vegan french toast recipes out there and after some trial and error, here’s what has worked best for me:
Vegan French Toast
serves two hungry adults
- 1 banana
- 1/3 cup coconut milk (the canned version)
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- 1 teaspoon raw sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon flour
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
4 thick slices of sourdough bread
other bread works fine, too – but sourdough is sublime
- 1 cup frozen berries
- 1-2 tablespoons oil (canola or coconut)
- powdered sugar
1. Heat skillet over medium heat and add ~2 tbsp of vegan margarine
2. Add batter ingredients to blender & blend until smooth; pour into shallow bowl.
3. Dip bread into batter and place on heated skillet.
4. BE PATIENT and allow to cook 3-4 minutes on each side. I like to wiggle the spatula underneath every so often just to ensure the bread doesn’t stick
note: It is very important to keep the skillet well greased so that the toast does not stick
5. While toast is cooking: in a separate small pan, add canola or coconut oil and heat over medium-low heat. Add in frozen berries and cook ~4-5 minutes or until berries are soft and juicy.
6. Plate up: pour the berry topping over your french toast, top off with a dusting of powdered sugar and drizzle of maple syrup and enjoy with your favorite morning beverage!