This weekend we had a backyard get-together to celebrate several big events amongst our circle of friends: a successful PhD defense, a birthday & a new job (that last one is for me!)
It took me all of 2 seconds to decide what to serve. Tacos are not only a crowd-pleaser but also, once served, they require no utensils. Less dishes to clean = more time to spend enjoying the company of my lovely friends.
One of my favorite renditions of black beans is a spin-off of beer-glazed black beans from Mark Bittman’s How to Cook Everything Vegetarian. Add in some cabbage and you have BBC tacos (Beer, Beans & Cabbage).
Makes ~4 servings
- 3 cups black beans
- olive oil
- 1 onion
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp cumin seeds
- 1 cup beer
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 1 teaspoon key lime juice
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon chipotle powder
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander
- chopped purple cabbage (as much as you want)
- Add onion to pan heated with several tablespoons of olive oil. Cook over medium heat for 5-8 minutes or until softened, stirring occasionally.
- Add in garlic & cook for 1 minute; then, add in cumin seeds & cook for 1 more minute. Try not to notice how much the cumin seeds resemble small insects.
- Add black beans, beer, molasses, key lime juice, chili powder, chipotle powder & coriander.
- Cook at a gentle bubble (medium-med.low heat) for ~15 minutes or until mixture has thickened.
- Plate up: serve in warm corn tortillas, topped with purple cabbage & ginger-dill sauce*.
*recipe coming tomorrow!
Results & Conclusions
These tacos have a spicy kick that really brings out a rich combination of flavors. Cabbage provides a light, refreshing crunch and a perfect base for ginger dill sauce.
These tacos come together quickly and taste even better the next day, so make sure to save some for tomorrow’s lunch!