Help for Sandy Hook
The lives lost at Sandy Hook are weighing heavily on my heart, just as they are the nation’s collective conscience.
I want to lighten the burden of the families who must move on, who must somehow accept that their child/brother/sister/friend will not be there for this Christmas or any other. These families need time, precious time, to heal and to find peace. These families need love, unconditional and freely given, to remember there is still beauty in life.
Countless other share the desire to help, to support, and have established many, many wonderful ways to do just that.
I thought I’d share just a few in case you too would like to join in the global embrace of the heartbroken community of Newton, Connecticut.
- Crafting for Cause : For the week of 12/17/12 through 12/23/12, multiple Etsy shops will donate a portion of their proceeds (ranging from 5% all the way to 100%) to the United Way of Western Connecticut which has partnered with Newton Savings Bank to create the Sandy Hook School Support Fund to provide support to affected families.
- Publishing Hearts Connecticut Online Auction: An online auction through 12/21/12 to benefit the affected families and communities through Newton Youth and Family Services. Over 50 authors have donated a host of items and services, ranging from manuscript critiques to book packages.
Tons of virtual runs are being organized to raise funds for support – this is a great way to donate to the victims and their families and also spend some quality time with your own family.
- 5k run for the Children of Sandy Hook: an event in the making which will possibly include a half-marathon, and will definitely include a global virtual component so that people everywhere can run to honor and raise money for the victims of Sandy Hook. The run will most likely take place in the spring to allow time to organize and get the word out.
- Sandy Hook Virtual 5k: Take off for a jog around the neighborhood with your family this Saturday and join in a virtual 5k; donations made to Sandy Hook School Support Fund through Active.com
- Sandy Hook Elementary Memorial Half-Marathon & 5k: another virtual run, being held on Thursday January 31, 2013, to benefit affected families through the United Way of Western Connecticut. Miles can be completed anytime between now and 1/31.
- United Way
- Sandy Hook Elementary School Victims Relief Fund: started by a former Sandy Hook Elementary student to raise support for the victims, their families, and the community. Funds will be donated to the school’s PTSA organization. Over $113,000 raised as of this morning (12/19/12)
Share Words of Support:
- Send a letter of condolence to:
Message of Condolence
P.O. Box 3700
Newtown, CT 06470
Lift the Newtown community up in your prayers, that they may find solace, peace, love.
We can all contribute in a meaningful way and help help this community pick up the shattered pieces of so many broken hearts. To remind us that we all have something to give, here’s a link to what our four-legged friends are doing to help: Therapy Dogs in Sandy Hook
Have a wonderful Wednesday 🙂