Yesterday was my first unofficial day at the new job and consisted of a retreat for pretty much the entire organization (staff plus various members of the board of directors).
So many names, so little ability to remember them all.Â Luckily, name tags relieved some of the pressure but sadly, I don’t think anyone will be wearing them on Monday.
It was quite a day, filled with all sorts of team-building exercises, catering (including a vegan option just for me – so nice!), bottle feedings for a tiny piglet abandoned by its mother (really wish I had my camera!) and acting in a skit in front of 30 people I didn’t know (did I mention that I was holding a giant swimming noodle next to my head as a ‘phone’?)
Anywhooo, it was a fun day but I was ready to relax a bit when I got home. The weather was beautiful and the last place I wanted to be was inside so I (literally) tossed together a quick and refreshing meal. This recipe is fantastic because it’s so flexible – it can be a main course, a side dish, an appetizer; it can be served warm or cold and you can eat it pretty much anytime.
Salsa Fresca Quinoa
Serves 4 as main course
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 15-ounce can of pineapple chunks
- 1.5 cups liquid (juice from said pineapple can + added water)
- 1 avocado
- 1-2 small tomatoes
- 1.5 cups corn
- OPTIONAL: ~1-2 teaspoons tabasco sauce
- Add liquid (pineapple juice & water) and quinoa to pot and bring to gentle boil. Cover, reduce heat & let simmer for about 15 minutes or until most of liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat and let stand for ~5 minutes.
- While quinoa is cooking, dice tomatoes and avocado flesh. (The riper the avocado, the creamier this dish becomes). If using frozen corn, microwave with 1/4 cup water for 3-4 minutes then drain.
- Add avocado, tomato, pineapple and corn to large bowl.
- Stir in cooked quinoa, and if you want a little spice, some tabasco sauce.
- Plate up: serve with tortilla chips and dip, dip, dip away!
Results & Conclusions
This medley is full of light and refreshing flavor. The tangy sweetness of pineapple pairs well with lightly salted tortilla chips.
Quinoa with its wonderfully nutty flavor adds some oomph to the texture of this dish.Â Enjoy!