byeeee byeeee brownie

by Heather on May 24, 2011

Preface: I have this little habit that some may call odd but I’ll just call endearing of spontaneously breaking out into song and changing the words to fit whatever I’m saying/doing/eating. Luckily I’m married to someone who doesn’t think I’m weird because he does it even more than I do. So. There you go. If you don’t get the title – Ann Margaret. Bye Bye Birdie. Nonsense words stuck in your head for the next few hours. You’re welcome :)

Now, where were we?

One of the most difficult aspects of graduating/having friends that have graduated is the inevitable divergence of paths. This weekend we had to say good-bye to two good friends as they packed up and embarked on their next great adventure. We will miss you both so much!

We spent the rest of the weekend toiling away in our garden – spreading compost, making rows and planting, planting, planting. After all that hard work, it seemed only right to end the weekend on a sweet note with a batch of ooey gooey brownies.

These brownies are not dry, wimpy little chocolate cakes. They are moist and dense and gloriously fudgy.  And they make you want to break out into song – what more could you want?

Classic.Fudge.Brownie

Materials

• 1 avocado, pitted
  • 3/4 cup cocoa powder
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1.5 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 cup raw sugar
  • 1/3 cup maple syrup
  • 1.5 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1.5 cups water
  • 3/4 cups chocolate chips (nondairy)

Methods

1. Preheat oven to 350º F.
  2. Get avocado good and smashed; this can be accomplished with either a) a spoon, b) a mixer, or c) multiple tequila shots.
  3. Combine avocado with wet ingredients (syrup, vanilla extract, water).
  4. Sift together dry ingredients (cocoa powder, flour, sugar, baking powder.)
  5. Add dry to wet in several batches, mixing after each addition. Stir in chocolate chips, then pour batter into greased 9×9 baking dish.
  6. Bake for ~ 35-45 mintues (insert a toothpick/skewer in the middle to test doneness).
  7. Remove from oven and place on baking rack. Let cool for at the very least 20 minutes – they need to firm up. When your husband you just can’t wait any longger, cut into either 16 smaller squares or 9 bigger, luxurious squares.
  8. Plate up: serve warm with a scoop of the world’s most delicious (albeit expensive) ice cream nondairy frozen dessert.

Results & Conclusions

These brownies are best described by the song ‘Oh Yeah’ by Yello (…in Ferris Bueller’s Day Off…anyone know what I’m talking about? Maybe/kinda/no?)

{Just in case you can’t go to Youtube right now and listen to the lyrical genius of this song, I’ll transcribe for you}

ohhhh yeahh

bwow wow

(chikachika)

ohhh yeahh…..

• { 12 comments… read them below or add one }

Michel May 25, 2011 at 7:13 am

I think they are a fitting treat for the holiday weekend!!! Can’t wait to try the brownies!

tslmom May 25, 2011 at 7:53 am

I want some!

Lauren @ Healthy Food For Living May 25, 2011 at 11:49 am

I know exactly what song you’re talking about, and the lyrics totally work for these fantastic brownies ;). Last night, I made chocolate pudding with an avocado and immediately started searching for other desserts using avocado. Your post couldn’t have come at a better time! I can’t wait to make these.

Anna May 26, 2011 at 4:17 am

Hell to the YES. I’ve been trying to find a good (fudgy!!) vegan brownie recipe for longer than I would care to admit. These are going STRAIGHT to the top of my to-try list. A brownie with its own soundtrack has gotta be good.

jen May 26, 2011 at 9:04 am

Oh this brownie looks PERFECT.

Amber C June 4, 2011 at 10:33 pm

I saw the photo of this on tastespotting and had to click to see the recipe because it looked so very good. I have never made a vegan dessert before but these turned out great!

Jennifer Roney January 30, 2012 at 8:43 pm

What do you think about subtituting the avocado for pumpkin? I have lots of pumpkin puree in my freezer fron the fall…

Heather February 2, 2012 at 7:05 am

You could certainly put pumpkin in (yum!)though it will be a bit cakier; to get the same dense fudginess (is that a word?), you might want to add in a little bit of oil as well. Happy baking!

Life's a Bowl October 1, 2012 at 1:59 pm

I’ve been on an avocado kick the past few months and loveee chocolate, these brownies are the best of both worlds!

Skylar November 2, 2012 at 7:07 pm

Does the taste change at all having avocado in this?

Looks super tasty! Going to try it out regardless <3

Stephanie January 30, 2014 at 10:50 am

Can I use white sugar instead of raw sugar? Will that change anything? Or should I use light brown sugar instead?

Heather January 30, 2014 at 1:14 pm

yes, you can certainly sub in white sugar for the raw sugar.